Have you ever thought about taking a rail vacation?
Did all of the planning and booking everything (rail, hotels, and activities) make you not do it? Amtrak Vacations has put all of that together in different packages.
The different types of rail vacations are:
• Independent Rail Journeys: Multi-destination train vacation
• Rail Getaways: Single city getaways
• Customizable Rail Vacations: Customize a package to make your own dream vacation
• Round Trip Rail Vacations: Start and finish at the same station
• Rail Experiences: All about the journey and destination
• National Parks: Perfect way to get up close and personal with these national treasures
• Rail and Sail: Combining land and sea travel
Amtrak offers some round-trip packages but most start in one place and end in another.
You can add the train ride from your local station to the package at an additional charge. I would compare prices to fly, drive, or just check with your local Amtrak (different than Amtrak Vacations) if you have a strict budget.
Amtrak has different accommodations to fit your family size and budget.
Depending on the train and length of your train ride, they have coach, business class, roomette, bedroom and bedroom suite (two adjoining bedrooms). The roomette, bedroom and bedroom suite include meals in the dining car. Roomettes will either have an in-room toilet or a shared toilet depending on the train you are on. All roomettes have a shared shower. Bedrooms have a private toilet and shower. They also have accessible bedrooms. Of course, all rooms come with a wonderful view!
You will have luggage guidelines to follow.
Generally, each passenger can have 2 carry-on bags not to exceed 50 lbs. (28x22x14 inches) free of charge. Also, each passenger can check up to 4 bags not to exceed 50 lbs. (75 linear inches) 2 free of charge and 2 at $20 per bag. Please check the baggage guidelines for the train you will be on to make sure you are within the guidelines as they may be different then what I have here. Also, the check bag fee may have changed.
For those of you who like to travel with your fur-baby, Amtrak will allow small pets.
There are things to consider before you decide to take your fur-baby with you.
• They have to be a small pet
• They are counted as a carry-on
• They will have to stay in their crate between stops
• The stress to your fur-baby
• Pet-friendly accommodations can be difficult and cost more
• Lack of potty breaks and exercise
It might be best to find a kennel, friend or family member to take care of your fur-baby.
Traveling by train is a unique experience that many people don’t think about doing for a vacation. So make sure you have an awesome camera handy and take a lot of pictures to share with friends and family. You may be the reason they take that train vacation!!
Until next time, safe travels